Wednesday 10 September 2014

Bardstown Writers' Group

During the visit to Compton Verney last month I met Jacci and Bren from the Bardstown Writers' group in Stratford upon Avon.

As a follow up I went to their meeting last evening in the Shakespeare Centre. There were 18 members present. I was made very welcome, told them about my writing career and listened to and even made some comments. The first half of the meeting was formal minuted business. Their members report on the Compton Verney visit was more positive than mine.

For the second half of their meeting they had a visiting speaker Hayley McKenzie from her firm Scriptangels - http://www.scriptangel.com/ - talking about the submission of scripts for films and TV. If one thinks the traditional book publishing submission and rejection system is a jungle then experience an even denser and wilder one for submitting scripts. Although it seems the rewards for a successful script are high there is unrelenting pressure thereafter to submit more material if for a series. If I heard correctly it costs some £1m per hour to produce a new TV programme. How can this be I ask?

The group has prepared an anthology of their work which is going to be launched in October at Waterstones in Stratford. I said I would put details on the Inkplotters' site. My views on the practicalities and viability of such publications have not changed. Why not just use the Writers' Group web site?

They meet on the second Tuesday of each month so next meeting is 14th October 2014. I may go again and if anyone would like to come I would be happy to provide a lift.

http://www.bardstownwriters.btck.co.uk/ for more details

Douglas

No comments:

Post a Comment